Observations from today’s readings and today’s S-WOD, Friday, 17 December 21:
Note: Here is a short video overview of Haggai: https://youtu.be/juPvv_xcX-U
Haggai 1:4-6, 9 — “’Is it a time for you yourselves to be living in your paneled houses, while this house remains a ruin?’ Now this is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘Give careful thought to your ways. You have planted much, but have harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it. ‘Why?’ declares the Lord Almighty. ‘Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with his own house.’”
Many pursue life accomplishments while their spiritual lives remain in ruins. Over and over again, the Bible warns that temporal successes cannot satisfy people who were created to Glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Many Christians understand this truth in theory yet still get wrapped up chasing after created things rather than the Creator. To them God says, “Give careful thought to your ways.” Christ must be your daily priority and pursuit.
Those who pursue the Lord are satisfied under all conditions. Those who pursue worldly desires are never satisfied under any conditions:
- Psalm 17:15 — As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.
- Psalm 65:4 — Blessed is the one you choose and bring near, to dwell in your courts! We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house, the holiness of your temple!
- Psalm 107:9 — For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things.
- Proverbs 13:25 — The righteous has enough to satisfy his appetite, but the belly of the wicked suffers want.
- Proverbs 19:23 — The fear of the Lord leads to life, and whoever has it rests satisfied; he will not be visited by harm.
- Ecclesiastes 1:8 — All things are full of weariness; a man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
- Ecclesiastes 5:10 — He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity.
- Matthew 5:6 — Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
- John 4:10-14 — Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water…. Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
“Cross” Fit S-WOD (Spiritual Workout of the Day) – 17 December 21: Be satisfied in the Lord today, and don’t let anything rob you of your quality time with Him in prayer, Bible study, and fellowship with other believers, and don’t let anything hinder the natural love, joy, peace, gratitude, and contentment you should feel by being in the constant presence of your Lord Almighty who loves you far beyond your comprehension.