Observations from today’s readings and today’s S-WOD, Saturday, 11 December 21:
Note: Here is a short video overview of the book of Micah: https://youtu.be/MFEUEcylwLc
Micah 3:11, — Its heads give judgment for a bribe; its priests teach for a price… yet they lean on the Lord and say, “Is not the Lord in the midst of us? No disaster shall come upon us.”
Psalm 145:2, 4, 11-13 — Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever…. One generation shall commend your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts…. They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom and tell of your power, to make known to the children of man your mighty deeds, and the glorious splendor of your kingdom. Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures throughout all generations.
Today’s readings offer perspective on how we should live in a fallen world as New Creations and ambassadors for Christ. Micah proclaimed truth to a nation whose political leaders, church leaders, and business leaders had been wholly corrupted by sin. The society had convinced themselves they were righteous though they had made themselves God’s enemies. (Micah 2:8) They couldn’t see their looming demise and didn’t want to hear about it — “Do not preach… one should not preach of such things; disgrace will not overtake us.” (Micah 2:6) Micah preached regardless.
- 1 Peter 2:11 — Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.
- Jude 1:21-23 — Keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.
- Acts 5:40-42 — …and when they had called in the apostles, they beat them and charged them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name. And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching that the Christ is Jesus.
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5 — I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
Living as an ambassador, as a sojourner, and as an exile in a corrupt world can be extremely challenging. It can be hard to maintain your perspective, and it can be hard to raise children without them being corrupted by the world around them. Lot for example, was a righteous man whose soul was tormented daily by the sin he experienced around him. (2 Peter 2:7) However, he failed to protect his family from the influence of the godless society; he lost his wife and his in-laws, and his daughters had become shockingly perverted. (Genesis 19:30-36) As Christians, we must learn how to snatch people out of the fire without getting burned ourselves.
Today’s Psalms give us practical instruction: Every day praise the Lord and share His good works with your children — every day, forever. Also, every day, teach your children and others about the power and sovereignty of God and about the glory and splendor of the Kingdom of God which endures throughout all generations. Explain the hope we have in Christ’s return and ultimate reign in a new heaven and new earth. This daily instruction to your family and others will also be a good daily reminder for you. Finally, live today in accordance with the principles and practices of the Kingdom you represent. Represent your King through your behavior and in what you communicate. Proclaim the Gospel!
- 2 Peter 3:13 — But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
“Cross” Fit S-WOD (Spiritual Workout of the Day) – 11 December 21: Today, as you proactively engage a broken community, keep yourself in the love of God, praise the Lord, tell everyone about His mighty deeds and about the glory of His Kingdom. Influence without being influenced.