Observations from today’s readings and today’s S-WOD, Sunday, 6 June 21:
2 Kings 7:8, 9 – “And when these lepers came to the edge of the camp, they went into a tent and ate and drank, and they carried off silver and gold and clothing and went and hid them. Then they came back and entered another tent and carried off things from it and went and hid them. Then they said to one another, ‘We are not doing right. This day is a day of good news. If we are silent and wait until the morning light, punishment will overtake us. Now therefore come; let us go and tell the king’s household.’”
The lepers understood that it would be a terrible sin, totally unloving, deserving of great punishment, to withhold the good news of salvation even for one day. Though they were tempted to simply enjoy their new riches, keeping them to themselves, they knew that countless others were doomed without what they had. So, they proclaimed this good news to the people who, at first, doubted. However, more “messengers” confirmed the good news, and soon multitudes rushed to receive miraculous and previously unimaginable blessings from the Lord.
What would happen if all Christians today were as convicted as these lepers to share the “good news” to those who are perishing, the Good News of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ? What will you do with the Good News and the unsearchable riches you have received in Christ? Will you hide them or “go and tell.”?
- Ephesians 1:7 — In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace….
- Ephesians 2:7 — …so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
- Ephesians 3:8 — To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ….
- Colossians 1:27 — To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
- Colossians 2:2 — that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God’s mystery, which is Christ,
“We are not doing right…. If we wait until daylight, punishment will overtake us.” Are you doing right with the salvation you have received through Jesus Christ? Do you feel a great sense of urgency to share the Good News with others and not wait another day?
- Acts 20:24 — But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
“Cross” Fit S-WOD (Spiritual Workout of the Day) – 6 June 21: Do not hoard the unimaginable riches you have received freely in Jesus Christ. Do not hesitate another second to tell those who are perishing around you how to have eternal life. Do not sin against God and others by failing to proclaim the Good News of Jesus today! (2 Kings 7:9)