Observations from today’s readings and today’s S-WOD, Saturday, 10 October 20:
Psalm 119:18 – “Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.”
Anyone, through intellectual knowledge, can know what is in the Bible, but it requires the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit to truly understand what it means, and it takes the power of the Holy Spirit to live it. Godliness is much more than an intellectual pursuit; it is a spiritual endeavor completed by Christ. Some of the most influential atheists in the world can quote the Bible better than many Christians (tragically); in fact, Satan tried in futility to tempt Jesus with Bible quotes. Many secular teachers and gurus extol the moral virtues of some Biblical principles. However, true spiritual discernment is available only to those saved by grace through faith by Jesus and empowered by the Holy Spirit.
- John 3:3 — Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
- Luke 24:45 — Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.
- 1 Corinthians 2:10-11, 14 — These things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God…. The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.
Of course, for the Holy Spirit to enlighten us with God’s word, we must study God’s word. We quench the Spirit when we neglect God’s word.
- 2 Timothy 3:15 — And how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
- John 17:17 — Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.
- Matthew 4:4 — But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
- Colossians 3:16 — Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
- 2 Timothy 2:15 — Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.
“Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day.” (Psalm 119:97) Do you have a passion for God’s word, and do you meditate upon it all day long? Do you find it hard to put down the Bible?
“Cross” Fit S-WOD (Spiritual Workout of the Day) – 10 October 20: Pray that God will increases your passion for His word and your understanding of God’s word through the Spirit. Pray that God will give you the wisdom to rightly apply His word and the love for Him to obey Him without grumbling. (1 Corinthians 10:10; 1 Peter 4:9)