Observations from today’s readings and today’s S-WOD, Sunday, 6 September 20:
Isaiah 9:2, 6, 7 — The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone…. For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.
Isaiah 9 is an incredible prophecy of Jesus –
- Matthew 1:20-23 — “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel”
- Matthew 4:12-17 — Now when he heard that John had been arrested, he withdrew into Galilee. And leaving Nazareth he went and lived in Capernaum by the sea, in the territory of Zebulun and Naphtali, so that what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled: “The land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles— the people dwelling in darkness have seen a great light, and for those dwelling in the region and shadow of death, on them a light has dawned.” From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
- John 8:12 — Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
- Matthew 28:18 — Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me.”
- Revelation 22:5 — And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.
Jesus reigns! All power and authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Him by the Father, and He will return to reign on a new earth. We are ambassadors for Him and His Kingdom in a foreign land. Our job is to proclaim His Majesty as KING of Kings for all who might listen as we prepare for His triumphant return. How are you doing as Christ’s ambassador in this foreign land?
- Psalm 105:1-6 — Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples! Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wondrous works! Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice! Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually! Remember the wondrous works that he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he uttered, O offspring of Abraham, his servant, children of Jacob, his chosen ones!
Today the psalmist encourages us to proclaim God’s wondrous works as the psalmist does. But the psalmist didn’t have the benefit of knowing Jesus Christ. How much more do we have in which to rejoice and proclaim to the world today? Practice Psalm 105: 1-6 today and every day –
- Give thanks to the Lord!
- Call upon His Name!
- Make known His deeds among all the peoples!
- Sing praises to Him!
- Tell of His wondrous works!
- Glory in His Name!
- Seek the Lord, His strength, and His presence continually!
- Remember the wondrous works He has done!
- Remember you are one of His chosen ones!
“Cross” Fit S-WOD (Spiritual Workout of the Day) – 6 September 20: Practice Psalm 105:1-6 today.