Observations from today’s readings and today’s S-WOD, Saturday, 1 February 20:
Exodus 17:6, 7 – “You shall strike the rock, and water shall come out of it, and the people will drink.” …They tested the Lord by saying, “Is the Lord among us or not?”
The people were thirsty, without hope; they grumbled, they quarreled. “What shall I do with this people?” (Exodus 17:4) The Lord said, “Strike the rock, and water shall come out.” This is another foreshadowing of Jesus. Jesus is the rock who was stricken so we would be saved from a dry, scorched spiritual wasteland and have living water through the Holy Spirit, living water which would flow to and from our hearts –
– 1 Corinthians 10:4 — …and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ.
– Habakkuk 1:12 — Are you not from everlasting, O Lord my God, my Holy One? We shall not die. O Lord…, O Rock….
– Matthew 7:24, 25 — Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.
– Isaiah 44:3 — For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.
– Isaiah 41:17-18 — When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst, I the Lord will answer them; I the God of Israel will not forsake them. I will open rivers on the bare heights, and fountains in the midst of the valleys. I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water.
– Isaiah 55:1 — “Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
– Isaiah 58:11 — And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
– Proverbs 25:25 — Like cold water to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country. [Good News = The Gospel of Christ]
– John 4:10 — Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.”
– John 6:35 — Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
– John 7:37-39 — On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
– Revelation 1:15-18 — …his voice was like the roar of many waters…. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.
– Revelation 21:6 — And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment.
– Revelation 7:17 — For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd, and he will guide them to springs of living water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.
– Revelation 22:1 — Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb
– Revelation 22:17 — The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price.
– Psalm 18:46 — The Lord lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be the God of my salvation.
Now, the question is, have you built your life on the foundation of the Rock, and are you being satisfied by the Living Water of the Holy Spirit — “Is the Lord among us or not?” (Exodus 17:7)
– Psalm 42:1-2 — As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?
– Matthew 5:6 — “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
– Jeremiah 2:13 — …for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water.
– Jeremiah 17:13 — O Lord, the hope of Israel, all who forsake you shall be put to shame; those who turn away from you shall be written in the earth, for they have forsaken the Lord, the fountain of living water.
– Matthew 7:26, 27 – “And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.”
– John 6:43 — Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves.”
– 1 Thessalonians 5:19 — Do not quench the Spirit.
– Ephesians 4:30 — And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
– Galatians 5:25 — If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.
“Cross” Fit S-WOD (Spiritual Workout of the Day) – 1 Feb 20: Drink from the living water, do not constrain the living water, be satisfied with the living water, and let the living water flow from your heart to others. Do not build your own dead cistern.