Observations from today’s readings and today’s S-WOD, Sunday, 12 January 20:
Genesis 27:18 – “Who are you, my son?”
Who are you? Are you a Christian? Jesus once asked, “For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?” (Luke 9:25) Jacob forfeited himself to steal what, ironically, God intended to give him anyway. (Romans 9:11-13) In so doing, Jacob brought much needless sorrow upon himself and upon his family – “The blessing of the Lord makes rich, and he adds no sorrow with it.” (Proverbs 10:22) “Bread gained by deceit is sweet to a man, but afterward his mouth will be full of gravel.” (Proverbs 20:17) Now Jacob is on the run with a very hard road ahead of him; his self-induced struggle will result in much needless pain and sorrow.
– 2 Corinthians 5:17 — Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
– Galatians 2:20 — I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
– 1 Peter 2:9 — But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
– Romans 8:31-34 — What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.
– Ephesians 1:11 — In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will….
If you are a Christian, “by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (Ephesians 2:8, 9) You are a new creation, you no longer live for self, and your identity is in Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 2:20) Don’t pretend to be something you’re not; don’t try to steal or earn what can only be given to you by God; don’t live a lie and suffer needless heartache by trying to live on merit and self-sufficiency rather than on God’s grace and His provision. Rest in the Lord, trust in the Lord, wait upon the Lord, and glorify Him. Abide in His love and be fruitful.
– Matthew 11:28-30 – “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
“Cross” Fit S-WOD (Spiritual Workout of the Day) – 12 Jan 20: Claim your identity in Christ and rest upon His sufficiency. Abide in His love and enjoy Him.