Observations from today’s readings and today’s S-WOD, Tuesday, 24 September 19:
Isaiah 42:1, 6, 7, 10; 43:1, 2, 4, 15, 18, 19, 25, 26 — Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him…. I am the Lord; I have called you in righteousness; I will take you by the hand and keep you; I will give you as a covenant for the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness…. Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise from the end of the earth…. Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you…. you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you…. I am the Lord, your Holy One, the Creator of Israel, your King…. Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? … I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins. Put me in remembrance….
Isaiah 42 and 43 is a call to fidelity to God’s servant Israel, pointing to the future perfect Israel, Jesus. In Israel’s failure, God reminds them of who they were called to be – “You shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation…. I will make you as a light for the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.” — while pointing to the King, the Great High Priest, the Light of the World, Jesus. (Exodus 19:6; Hebrews 7, 8) God called Israel to live faithfully as a testimony and messenger of what Christ would fulfill, and God is calling us to live faithfully as a testimony and as a messenger of what Christ has already fulfilled and will reveal completely upon His triumphant return.
The word “Christian” literally means “Little Christ.” We are called to live in the image of Christ on earth, as His ambassadors to the world, not to share glory with Him – “I am the Lord; that is my name; my glory I give to no other (Isaiah 40:8)” – but to abide in His glory and to serve as conduits of His glory before the nations, always pointing the world towards Him. As you read and meditate upon Isaiah 42 and 43, consider your calling and resolve to fulfil your purpose on earth for His glory. Consider also the verses below:
– Romans 8:29 — For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
– John 17:22-23 — The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.
– 2 Corinthians 5:18-20 — All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
– Matthew 28:18-22 — And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
– 1 Peter 2:5 — You yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
– 1 Peter 2:9 — But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
– Revelation 1:5-7 — To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all tribes of the earth will wail on account of him. Even so. Amen.
– Revelation 5:10 – and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.
– Matthew 5:14 — You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
“Cross” Fit S-WOD (Spiritual Workout of the Day) – 24 September 19: Today, recommit to fulfilling the purpose God gave you on earth, today and everyday. Make the most of every opportunity to proclaim Jesus in word and deed.