Observations from today’s readings and today’s S-WOD, Monday, 16 September 19:
Isaiah 26:3, 12 — You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you…. O Lord, you will ordain peace for us, for you have indeed done for us all our works.
Proverbs 16:7 — When a man’s ways please the Lord, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
Hebrews 3:7, 8, 11, 18, 19 — Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the wilderness…. “They shall not enter my rest” …. And to whom did he swear that they would not enter his rest, but to those who were disobedient? So we see that they were unable to enter because of unbelief.
Are you experiencing a life of peace and rest, despite circumstances around you? Is your peaceful, restful spirit evident to those around you, a visible testimony to your faith and hope in Jesus? Jesus said, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28) “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” (John 14:27)
Today, Isaiah tells us that the secret to peace, perfect peace, is trusting God and keeping our minds “stayed” on Him with the knowledge that He has “ordained” peace for us and does “for us all our works” – His power, not ours. In Matthew 14, Peter, with his eyes affixed on Jesus, trusted Jesus enough to walk on water, ever closer to Jesus. Only when Peter took His eyes off Jesus and focused on the storm around him did he become afraid and begin to sink – “Lord save me.” (Matthew 14:30) Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” (Matthew 14:31)
Today in Hebrews, Paul tells us that rest is found in belief that listens to the Lord and obeys the Lord. Proverbs adds that God honors our obedience to Him. As the old hymn goes, “Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.”
– Romans 15:13 — May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
– 1 Corinthians 14:33 — For God is not a God of confusion but of peace
– Ephesians 2:14 — For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility.
– Colossians 3:15 — And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.
– 2 Thessalonians 3:16 — Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all.
– 2 Peter 1:2 — May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
“Cross” Fit S-WOD (Spiritual Workout of the Day) – 16 September 19: Today, trust and obey, and remain peaceful and restful by keeping your mind stayed on the Lord rather than the worries of the world.