Observations from today’s readings and today’s S-WOD, Saturday, 27 April 19:
Psalm 49:15-20 — “…. Be not afraid when a man becomes rich, when the glory of his house increases. For when he dies, he will carry nothing away; his glory will not go down after him. For though, while he lives, he counts himself blessed —and though you get praise when you do well for yourself— his soul will go to the generation of his fathers, who will never again see light. Man, in his pomp yet without understanding is like the beasts that perish.”
The psalmist points out the foolishness and blindness of pursuing blessings and praise on earth rather than the blessings and praise of God. Jesus said, “For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul (Mark 8:36)?” It is quite easy to get caught up in the worries of the world and lose the eternal perspective. However, when our daily pursuit is nothing but Jesus Christ, when our eyes remain affixed to Him, when we see all other life circumstances as an opportunity to draw closer to Him and to reveal Him to others; and when through our walk with Him we learn to trust Him, we will not be distracted or deceived, and our joy and peace will be full.
– James 4:14 — What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.
– Job 14:1, 2 — Man who is born of a woman is few of days and full of trouble. He comes out like a flower and withers; he flees like a shadow and continues not.
– Psalms 90:12 — So teach us to number our days, That we may present to You a heart of wisdom.
– Psalm 89:47 — Remember what my span of life is; For what vanity You have created all the sons of men!
– 1 Peter 1:24 — All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls.
“Cross” Fit S-WOD (Spiritual Workout of the Day) – 27 Apr 19: Today, focus on keeping Jesus your focus.