Observations from today’s readings and today’s S-WOD, Thursday, 25 April 19:
Romans 12:9 — “Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil.”
To truly love is to hate evil; it is impossible to love while accepting evil which is always wholly contrary to love. God, who is Love, hates, “abhors” evil; therefore, we must hate evil also. God says that to truly worship Him, we must “present [our] bodies as… living sacrifice[s], holy and acceptable to God,” and He warns us that the world’s concept of love (along with concepts such as “acceptance” and “tolerance”) are contrary to His – “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect (Romans 12:2).” As we read in Judges today, the world loves evil and will violently oppose those who live by the love of God, but Paul encourages us, “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good (Romans 12:21).”
– Isaiah 5:20 — Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
– Proverbs 8:13 — The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.
– Psalm 97:10-12 — O you who love the Lord, hate evil! He preserves the lives of his saints; he delivers them from the hand of the wicked. Light is sown for the righteous, and joy for the upright in heart. Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous, and give thanks to his holy name!
– Amos 5:14, 15 — Seek good, and not evil, that you may live; and so the Lord, the God of hosts, will be with you, as you have said. Hate evil, and love good, and establish justice in the gate; it may be that the Lord, the God of hosts, will be gracious to the remnant of Joseph.
– 3 John 1:11 — Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God.
– Psalm 11:5 — The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence.
Dig deeper on hating sin and loving the sinner by reading this sermon delivered on Sabbath morning, August 8, 1858, by the Reverend Charles H. Spurgeon at the Music Hall, Royal Surrey Gardens: “Ye that love the Lord, hate evil.” (Psalm 97:10) — https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/spurgeon_charles/sermons/0208.cfm
“Cross” Fit S-WOD (Spiritual Workout of the Day) – 25 Apr 19: Practice hating sin and loving sinners.